A helping hand for all child support arrangements

O’Sullivan Davies can assist with every aspect of this process.

In particular, we ensure that our clients are fully aware of the issues which may flow from their Child Support arrangements, and that taxation and other issues are properly considered. 

  • By submitting this form, you are consenting to our Privacy Policy.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Child Support Lawyers Perth

In the majority of cases, parties make an application for an assessment directly to the Child Support Agency.

On the contrary, many people choose to reach agreement on the matter of child support. This gives more flexibility with amounts and frequency of payment. Agreements can either be unregistered or registered with the Child Support Agency. In most cases, where an agreement is made with respect to Child Support, it can only be varied by reaching a new agreement, or by application to court for a variation of its terms.

At O’Sullivan Davies, our child support lawyers are aware that issues relating to child support can cause difficulties for many people on the breakdown of their relationship.

To discuss arrangements for child support in Perth, please contact us today.


What is child support?

Child support is a payment made by one parent to the other parent, calculated based on each of their incomes, the child’s age, and the number of nights the child spends with each parent. The assessment applies whether or not parents are or have been married.

Services Australia presently administers the child support scheme.

Child support is a payment made for the child/children only, and is not the same as spousal or de facto partner maintenance (further information on maintenance below).

Do I have to pay child support even if I don’t see my children? 


Both parents have a duty to support their children financially no matter the reasons a child is not spending time with them (or not spending as much time as they would like).

Can I enter into other arrangements for child support?

If both parents agree, they can enter into a Limited or Binding Child Support Agreement that can vary the amount of child support assessed, and also provide for the proportion of payment of certain expenses such as private school fees, extracurricular activities, and medical and allied health costs.

We can assist you to determine if such an agreement is right for your situation.

What if my child is over 18 years of age/has completed secondary school?

In certain circumstances, it is possible for a party to obtain adult child maintenance for the expenses of a child over 18 or an adult child who has completed their secondary education.

This can be done by consent or by making an application to the Family Court.

O’Sullivan Davies can assist to assess your situation to determine if this is an option for you.