Handy Hints (24) – How to contact Police when you are unable to speak on the phone

9 February 2022


OSD Presents…Handy Hints (24)

By pressing 55 when calling 000, a person can request emergency help to their address without saying a word.

This little known service allows you to receive emergency help to your address, if you are a victim of domestic violence and it is not safe to speak or you cannot speak.

When a 000 caller doesn’t respond to the operator’s question ‘Emergency? Police? Fire? Ambulance?’ the call is transferred to an interactive voice response (IVR). The IVR asks you to press 55 if you require emergency help. If you don’t press 55 after being asked 3 times you will be disconnected.

If you press 55 you will be connected to the police. The police will attempt to call you back and might send a patrol car to your address.

Police will use the address for the service (which would usually be your billing address). This means it is important to make sure that your telco has the most up-to-date address details for your phone services.

If you are calling from a mobile service and are not at your service address, police will try to locate you and respond to your request, but this may not always be possible without an address or accurate location information. If you can speak and provide just your location, you should do so.

We’re Here to Help

Family law matters can be difficult and complex. If you require any assistance with a family law dispute, always contact a legal practitioner who will be able to help.

O’Sullivan Davies has practitioners experienced in dealing with all family law issues. More information about our services can be found at our About Us page here.


This article is not legal advice and the views and comments are of a general nature only. This article is not to be relied upon in substitution for detailed legal advice.

If you would like to republish this article, please contact us prior to doing so at info@osullivandavies.com.au.