• Property received after separation

    How is property acquired after separation treated? As with many issues in family law, it depends on the circumstances.

  • Tips for a Maintenance Application

    To obtain spousal maintenance in Perth / Western Australia, we look to Section 72 of the Family Law Act 1975 (section 205ZC of the Family Court Act 1997 for de facto couples).

  • From the ‘Bank of Mum and Dad’ to Financial Agreements: Securing Australia’s Generational Wealth Transfer

    Demographically, Australia is experiencing significant intergenerational wealth transfers and will continue to do so for some time. 

  • Financial Agreements

    Pre-nuptial Agreements, Cohabitation Agreements and Binding Financial Arrangements are more accurately (in a legal sense) known as Financial Agreements.

  • Handy Hints (33) – Ongoing disclosure obligations

    The duty of disclosure is onerous and can be, at times, overwhelming, especially for the party who has controlled or managed the finances throughout the marriage or relationship.

  • Handy Hints (20) – Varying Financial Orders made on a final basis

    When financial orders are made by the Family Court on a final basis, an individual can only apply to vary or set aside them under certain circumstances.

  • Handy Hints (19) – Time limit to initiate proceedings following a divorce

    In Australia and under the Family Law Act, former spouses must file an application about property settlement or spousal maintenance (or both) within 12 months of their divorce Order becoming final.

  • Handy Hints (17) – Importance of valuing assets

    It is important to know the value of assets when making a decision about your financial settlement.

  • Handy Hints (16) – What to do when separating

    Separation is when one party tells the other that it is over. This can be done face to face or in writing. It does not have to be agreed.

  • Handy Hints (15) – Disbursement of superannuation

    If one of your major assets is superannuation and your spouse is close to retirement age, it is possible to apply to the Court to make an order to flag superannuation.